Monday, February 16, 2015

Blog 8: slide-to-unlock claim #1


Claim #1 of Patent #8046721, unlocking a device by performing gestures on an unlock image. This claim basically explains the background of the product and how to use it. It explains that users must physically bring up the image of the slide-to-unlock screen, then move the unlock image graphic across the screen. After the slide is completely across the screen, the phone will be unlocked. The claim is very self-explanatory today since most of us use the slide-to-unlock feature everyday. It is also written very specifically so that no one will be able to copy it exactly. Claims make it clear to the public and inform them of the boundaries of what constitutes infringement of the patent. 



5 comments:

  1. Hi Vruti, great post! I like how you went through step by step and provided a bit of background. Personally, I would have bullet-pointed the steps to better match the format of the claim, but I think you method is good too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Vruti,

    I really enjoyed how succint your description of the patent was. We understand the general idea behind how the patent works so it was nice to hear your commentary on it and it was provided in a manner that was both clear and understandable. Maybe next time what would be best is if you did a line by line analysis of each point made in the claim but nonetheless I enjoyed the brevity of your description.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Vruti!
    I really liked your explanation behind the slide-to-unlock patent. I think that it really helped me garner a better understanding for my video and post as well. It's awesome that you were really concise, yet very in-depth! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Vruti! Great post, and good job being concise with your explanations! I think it may also be worth mentioning that Apple pioneered this technology and has applied it to virtually all of its handheld devices today. Great job - keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Vruti!

    I liked how your explanation of the patent device was really concise - I was able to understand exactly what the patent did from your concise blog post, and I think that really shows how simple of an invention this is, but that is has so many implications.

    ReplyDelete