Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Blog 24: Silly Patent-Banana Suitcase

Silly Patent-Banana Suitcase
Durable; easy to manufacture; low cost US 6612440 B1

Abstract: A banana protective device for storing and transporting a banana carefully. The banana protective device includes a container having a first cover member and a second cover member being hingedly attached to the first cover member and being adapted to store a banana therein; and also includes pad members being securely disposed upon the first and second cover members for protecting and cushioning the banana; and further includes fastening members being attached to the first and second cover members for fastenably closing the first and second cover members together.

Read more about it here: http://www.google.com/patents/US6612440

Although it is completely ridiculous to have a protective gear for something like a banana, it still got passed because it was novel and non-obvious.




5 comments:

  1. Hi Vruti,

    I think it is so funny you chose this patent! I actually saw a deal on groupon for these banana holders! When I saw them I was so confused/shocked by the invention! While I agree that they are novel and non-obvious but I still probably would not purchase them! Overall, I really enjoy that you include multiple figures in your posts! You also do a great job at concisely summarizing and analyzing each patent. Great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This patent is hilarious. You never know when your banana could be in harms way. I agree that this was non obvious. The diagram was also a good visual representation. Good work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was going to mention what Gabrielle talks about! There was this hilarious post from Groupon about these banana holders. Take a look :) http://9gag.com/gag/aB3L3xZ/groupon-had-the-best-comments-on-this-sort-of-nsfw-banana-holder

    Anyways, it was great to hear your thoughts on this patent. I would have liked to hear more about how successful you think it would do! In fact, the product is SOLD OUT on Groupon, really goes to show the absurdity of American consumers!

    Great post, Vruti!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Vruti! Definitely agree with the comments above that this invention is so hilarious. I really liked how you included pictures, and I agree that this was non obvious. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi again Vruti, I think you did an excellent job on this post, as usual. I think the banana idea is so hilarious actually. I can't believe that someone actually thought of this, ventured for it, and spent the necessary funds to obtain this patent!

    ReplyDelete