Monday, May 4, 2015

Blog 36: Future Career

This class had helped me in a number of ways that has positively impacted my future career:

1. Communication Skills
Each week we had to create Youtube Videos and write blog posts in a strong and succinct manner. Although I struggled at the beginning to keep my videos around 2 minutes, I am now able to cover all my main points in a short amount of time. This is extremely important because being able to explain concepts concisely and clearly is extremely important in the field of business.

2. Social Media Presence
Many times in class Professor Lavian told us that everything is moving online, so creating our social media presence is becoming even more important. Later when recruiters search my name on Google they will be able to find blog posts, tweets, and youtube clips of me talking about Patents. This is really beneficial when applying for jobs or any job related manner.

3. Patents
I learned a tremendous amount of information about Patents! Before this class I had no idea what the difference between copyright and patent was. Now I am able to tell you what a patent is, how it can be used, how to file it, how long someone can keep a patent, how to do research on patents, and even about patent litigation. I am now able to talk about a topic that most people have no knowledge about. This information is so valuable and I am so thankful to be able to know about it.  


5 comments:

  1. Hi Vruti,

    Great post and organization about how this class will benefit your future career! I totally agree with your 3 points: 1) Communication Skills, 2) Social Media Presence, and 3) Patents.

    I also want to start my own company one day and those are three of my takeaways as well. Though all are important, it would be interesting to see which skill you will use the most and why!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post Vruti. The three aspects of the class that you identified as helpful for you future are important for everyone in the class. It is advantageous to be a good speaker. The knowledge about patents and comfort with social media will definitely help you no matter where you end up in the future. You have grown intellectually and can apply your knowledge to the real world!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Vruti,

    I really like how you structured this post to cover more than just the tangible knowledge you took away from the class. I certainly agree with all three of your points! With regards to communication skills, I definitely saw this as a benefit of the class myself. Posting on YouTube made me a better speaker, because it forced me to prepare the material and content in advance and present it in a clear, coherent, and articulate way. It was hard NOT to put forth a quality post because everyone on the Internet could see it!

    With regards to social media presence, this is something that I definitely felt was an important aspect of the course! I think that we are currently in an age where the world is growing increasingly invested into technology, more specifically the Internet and social media. That being said, much of the content, news, learning, entertainment, and shopping that we do is online. That being said, in order to keep up with this trend, it is super important to have a strong online presence. This is beneficial to stay connected with friends, the news, and employers. Media such as Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, and Blogger are so important now in this day and age, especially at UC Berkeley, where we are located right next to the Silicon Valley!

    Finally, with regards to the more tangible learning outcomes of the class, I definitely agree that we learned a lot about patents. I came into the class thinking we would learn just about how to file a patent, but we learned so much more. From what makes a patent valid, to the rise of patent trolls, to the use of intellectual property as a strategic business asset, this class was incredibly helpful and comprehensive.

    I really enjoyed reading your blog this semester! As usual, great post, and thanks again!

    Sincerely,
    Mo Jomaa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Vruti, Great job with this post as well. You made some really great points about how this class can help you in the long run, and I totally agree with the points you raised about it. I think the communications skills this class developed has been the most unforeseen benefit. I think the amount of skill it takes to think about your idea in the blog and being able to communicate it in a coherent and concise manner on a youtube video is irreplaceable. Great work again and I will see you in class!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Vruti,

    Great job on this blog post! I really like how you identified the three things you wanted to talk about, and arranged them very well. The format makes your three distinct points very easy to follow. I agree that even thought there was no audience when making the YouTube videos it really helped with public speaking.
    Mark

    ReplyDelete