Monday, May 4, 2015

Blog 34: Collaborative Learning


I really enjoyed collaborative learning and it was really valuable to learn from others. I feel like I learned so much more from reading everyone else’s blog and youtube video post. Each post I read, I learned something new since everyone had a new idea or take to the assignment. Also everyone’s comments were really beneficial as I was able to improve my own posts based on what everyone said. The peer engagement through the comments was a great way to learn through the semester, from the minds and brains of our peers! I loved that I could get constructive feedback and positive encouragement at the same time for all of my assignments. It was great to see the passion that my peers had for helping my own content become that much better! It was also really interesting tweeting during class and engaging with the class during lecturers. I was able to give out my thoughts and see what everyone else was thinking during the lecture. This was really beneficial as I was able to learn much easier and quicker! I also learned that we can build off of each other! Creativity comes from finding whats good and making it even better! This is not plagiarism! We should learn from other products and figure out how we can improve them.  I believe this type of collaborative learning is extremely important and feel that more teachers should have assignments like this.


7 comments:

  1. Hey Vruti!
    Thank you for a wonderful post-- I couldn't agree more on how you noted the positive side of peer engagement and usage of blog comments for collaborative social media. I really liked how you say it really helped you out getting constructive feedback and positive encouragement at the same time for all of assignments. I really do think that it was unique usage of social media and helped to gain a lot of information.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Vruti,

    I liked how you differentiated creativity within collaborative learning from plagiarism. Personally, I used a lot of the ideas and opinions brought forward by others in the class, yourself included, in forming my own basis on how to interpret different situations in terms of legality involving patents. I believe that be crowd-sourcing all our thoughts in such an open manner, we collectively learned more together as a class and individuals than we could have ever by just simply going to lecture and working on homework assignments by ourselves. If it wasn't for the collaborative learning atmosphere that was fostered from the beginning of the semester, I probably would not be able to speak to someone so well about concepts such as novelty and obviousness when it comes to concerning patents. The question is how can we get other professors to embrace this form of learning? It is such a useful tool, but professors are rightfully worried about it being manipulated, but the benefits of this form of learning have really opened up my eyes in terms of it showcasing how it can make a significant difference in our academic careers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Vruti,

    Another great post! I like how you talk about collaborative learning this post, as it was essential to our class.

    I like how you mentioned constructive feedback and positive encouragement through these comments, because though they can be tedious, they are important! I would suggest organizing this post a bit more so it is easier to read though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post Vruti. I think that learning from others was very good for all of the students in this class. The feedback and encouragement that our peers gave was very supportive and allowed us to improve as well as learn from different perspectives. This way of learning also helped me learn quicker. Plagiarism was not a problem because we were learning from each other rather than copying each other. Fantastic work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Vruti, Great job with this post. I really liked how much you talked about collaboration as the future of our education. I am glad you enjoyed implementing social media into the classroom. I think being able to get constructive criticism from others about my work is very valuable as well. I think it is key to improvement.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Vruti,
    Great blog post. I agree that I learned so much from reading other people's posts. Generally in class the only opinion I get is that of the professors, so to have a different view point was really interesting for me to.

    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Vruti,

    Thanks for sharing your positive thoughts about the course! I am glad to read that you gained a lot from the comments in learning to build and improve your blogs. I, too, thought they were helpful sometimes, but many times they were surface-level comments that did not help me very much in improving the structure of my posts. I also think that sometimes with having the names listed alphabetically on the Google Excel Doc leads to a heavier comment turnout on the first handful of names and not so much on the middle to end, so perhaps that is another reason I did not find the comments as helpful as you did.

    Sasha

    ReplyDelete